According to the survey that the test subjects filled after their performance, the honey-based energy gel had the most pleasant taste.
The test subjects in the study were nine men who had a background in team sports. The subjects were made to run at the aerobic threshold for 45 minutes, after which speed was increased thrice in five-minute intervals, and the third level was maintained until exhaustion (80%, 85% and 90% VO2max). The subjects performed the same pattern three times using a different gel.
Gels and drinks used in the study
- Honeysty natural honey-based gel (carbohydrates 44 g/100 g of gel, fructose and glucose)
- Commercial sports drink used as a control gel (carbohydrates 55 g/100 g of gel, maltodextrin and fructose)
- Placebo gel (carbohydrates 0 g/100 g of gel)
- Consuming energy gels that contained carbohydrates (honey-based gel and control gel) maintained the subjects’ blood glucose levels at a higher level during steady stress and when speed was increased as well as after recovery.
- According to the survey that the subjects filled after their performance, the honey-based energy gel had the most pleasant taste.
- According to the subjects’ answers, the honey-based gel had the best effects and felt the most pleasant both during and after performing.